It Couldn't Be Done - A Labor Day Poem




 I wanted to share a poem I love and feel is perfect for Labor Day.  It is by Edgar Guest, a writer of sentimental and optimistic poetry.  He was known as the 'People's Poet'.  Born in England in 1881, Edgar came to the United States as a young child with his family.  He published his first poem at 17 years of age.  His poems reflect the American spirit and work ethic that made America great!

Enjoy your family, friends, cook-outs and say goodbye to Summer!



IT COULDN’T BE DONE
Somebody said it couldn't be done,
But he with a chuckle replied
That "maybe it couldn't," but he would be one
Who wouldn't say so till he'd tried.
So he buckled right in with the trace of a grin
On his face. If he worried he hid it.
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.
Somebody scoffed: "Oh, you'll never do that;
At least no one has ever done it";
But he took off his coat and he took of his hat,
And the first thing we knew he'd begun it.
With a lift of his chin and a bit of a grin,
Without any doubting or quiddit,
He started to sing and he tackled the thing
That couldn't be done, and he did it.

There are thousands to tell you it cannot be done,
There are thousands to prophesy failure;
There are thousands to point out to you, one by one,
The dangers that wait to assail you.
But just buckle in with a bit of a grin,
Just take off your coat and go to it;
Just start to sing as you tackle
the thing
That "cannot be done," and you'll do it.
Edgar Guest




joining: 


Comments

  1. Nancy, I always enjoy the poetry you share. Edward Guest is a favorite from my elementary days when we had to learn and recite poetry. It was one of my favorite assignments.
    Beautiful table! Hope your Labor Day weekend brings you time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this poem! So wonderful to revisit it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your beautiful table settings and the poem is a favorite too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reminding us of that wonderful old poem. I was always so inspired by it! and what a beautiful table you have put together to wish us all a Happy Labor Day, and to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Nancy, and thanks for sharing this poem. I love learning more about the US from my lovely American friends!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.