Swedish Pancakes - A Guest Post from my Hubby





Howdy all!  Nancy's better-half (Shawn) here,  Nancy's asked me to share one of my favorite recipes with you and I've agreed with some reluctance.   I make these a few times a year, mostly at the request of my parents, and always on Christmas morning when Nancy makes her Canadian Bacon Casserole.

On one side I'm a total foodie and love to share recipes.  On the other side is something I inherited from my Grandmother Florence Roberts, which makes me want to hide my favorites away like some cherished treasure never to be shared with anyone under any circumstances, including my passing.  Swedish pancakes are one of those that are just that good.




I got to spend half a decade in Rockford, IL during my formative years.  

There are three things that left an indelible impression on me from my time in Rockford.  The Great Recession of the early 80's, the rock band Cheap Trick and Swedish pancakes.

Rockford is one of those blue-collar towns full of hardworking people, many of Scandinavian descent.  It was hit horribly during the recession and the town boasted the highest unemployment rate in the nation at 25%.  The Chrysler plant in nearby Belvidere closed, Sundstrand closed and the last person left in Rockford was asked to turn the lights out.

My parents suffered along with everyone else thru this although as kids we never felt it like they did.  As an adult I now know what it's like to undergo similar hardships and try to protect your kids from feeling it.  They did this in various ways but one of them was taking little treats where you could find them and making small things "special events".  For our family this was going out to eat Swedish pancakes every Saturday morning at the Stockholm Inn in Rockford.  This place was an institution then as I'm sure it still is to this day.  People would be lined up out the door and around the building to get in and we all came to treasure this place.

What made it a double bonus for me was that Nielson's music store was across the street and it was owned by the parents of Rick Nielson, the guitarist for Cheap Trick and one of my guitar heros.  

Cheap Trick is native to Rockford and Robyn Zander has to be considered one of Rock-n-Rolls all time greatest vocalists, at least in my book.  So in addition to feasting on these yummy delights I always got to sneak next door and see if I could catch Rick Nielson hanging out if he was in town.


So without further ado, feast your eyes on the pics below and then go make yourself some.  You won't regret it.







Swedish Pancakes

Swedish pancakes are essentially a type of crepe.  But they are a lighter, sweeter crepe that almost melts in your mouth.

4 eggs 2 cups milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Beat eggs in large bowl with a wire whisk.  Add milk and mix.  Add flour, sugar, salt and melted butter.  Mix.


Preheat a non-stick skillet or crepe pan on medium heat.  Melt a small pat of butter before each one is made.  Pour a thin layer (I use approximately 1/4 cup for each) in the pan.  Heat only long enough for it to set and form a sheen across the top.  This normally takes less than 13 to 15 seconds.  Flip the cake and cook only for anther 8 to 10 seconds and it should be done to perfection.  Then repeat until everyone is too full to move or your arm falls off.  That's the way it normally works around our house anyway.



Nancy likes to drizzle traditional Lingonberry preserves over hers mixed with syrup.  I prefer them with syrup only.  Let us know how you like them best.


Sincerely,

Shawn



Follow me on Facebook 

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Google+

Follow me on Tumblr
Sharing at some of these blogland parties:

Comments

  1. Yum Yum. I love it always when My husband cooks for Me.I'm happy for Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know I'm listening to Cheap Trick's ~The Flame~ as I'm commenting to your post!!! Memories...
    I have to try making these Swedish pancakes for Hubs, after all his last name is Ohlson, and my mouth is watering!!! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my yum! I'm partly Swedish and never heard of these! I'll copy this and give them a try. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds and looks yummy! Is your husband a musician, Nancy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, I LOVE Swedish crepes! Can you please share your source for Lingonberry preserves? I live in Central Virginia & haven't had any luck finding them anywhere around here. I even thought of trying to order the plants, growing & making my own.
    Thanks,
    Betty Dotson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, I first bought Lingonberry preserves in Minnesota at a specialty shop. I have since found them here in Tulsa at a German restaurant which has a small grocery shop inside. I believe you could find them on Amazon as well. If you can't find them, I'd be happy to pick up a jar from the place I mentioned locally and ship it to you. I think they were about $7 or 8 and add about $6 to ship. Good luck finding them!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nancy. I'll go to amazon right now!
      Betty

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.